Discover the strategic planning process and learn how to determine the right strategic priorities for your organization in this insightful article. Gain valuable insights into the key steps involved in decision-making, ensuring that the initiatives you choose propel your organization forward.
After you’ve developed your vision, mission, and strategic priorities, the next step in the strategic planning process is defining your objectives, goals, and tactics (i.e. how you will carry out your strategic plan).
The first step in this part of the process is to define your key strategic priorities over a set period of time. Strategy is about making decisions and deciding which initiatives will move your organization toward your vision and keeping an eye out for what may slow you down or hold you back. Sharpening your focus on a few key areas will allow you and your team to implement a few projects or initiatives very well, rather than a multitude of activities poorly or just OK.
- Strategic Problems and how to address them
The Cost of Developing a Strategic Plan (3 Tiers)
When you arrive at this stage of the strategic planning process with your team, here are a few guidelines to help you decide on your strategic priorities:
- To establish your organizational priorities, start by asking yourself and your team: “What are the most important things that we should be doing?”
- Brainstorm three to four priority areas (these can be long-term initiatives, but make sure to pick one for the short-term as well)
- Pick priorities that your entire team can help work so that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals
- Once an agreement is reached, you can set specific and measurable goals and action items to help you implement your strategic priorities. If your entire team understands the priorities and which specific actions they are responsible for, they will be more aligned across the organization and will have an increased capacity for strategic decision-making and accountability, which is crucial for your strategy facilitation and implementation.
Watch our video below on how to set strategic priorities:
Click to learn how a strategic planning facilitator can guide you through a proven strategic planning process to create alignment and a shared vision of success for your organization.