Strategic Planning Facilitator
Please direct applications with cover letters to Jenna Sedmak: email@example.com
Annual Salary: 80,000USD/year based on a 32-hour (4-day) work week
We are looking for a Strategic Planning Meeting Facilitator who is passionate about organizational development and is comfortable working with groups varying in size from 4-50 people. This person will complement our team of facilitators within our Client Partnerships department. This person will be responsible for leading clients through our strategic planning process and other core workshops and educational modules, either in-person or virtually. This role requires strong interpersonal communication skills, an understanding of how to “read the room”, and the ability to both adhere to a process while knowing when to pivot to meet core outcomes. There may also be opportunities to facilitate workshops and group coaching sessions with our long-term clients beyond the strategic planning process.
In addition to facilitation, additional client responsibilities include client pre-work, post-work and check-in calls. Internally, this role will also attend internal team and client meetings and internal development days (remotely). Workload may include content development based on areas of subject matter expertise and other related tasks to support business objectives.
This role will collaborate closely with our CEO, CCO (Chief Client Officer) and small Client Partnerships team. The incumbent will complement a team of strategic thinkers who aren’t afraid to challenge each other, and who are making a difference in the lives of businesses, teams, communities and individuals around the world.
Ideally, this role is based in the Mid-Western region of the USA. While our client work environment is hybrid, with some sessions happening in-person and others virtual, our internal work environment is primarily remote, with a focus on flexible work-life balance.
Please note: USA-based travel is a requirement for this role.
Core Competencies to Drive Outcomes:
- You are a strategic thinker who takes ownership and accountability with their work
- You are passionate about your craft and seek to continually learn and grow
- You have a knack for storytelling and can communicate complex themes in a way that is accessible to everyone
- You have the ability to share metaphors and ask questions to engage critical thinking rather than giving people immediate answers
- You are comfortable with a challenge and can take on different perspectives when facilitating a group with conflicts or issues with coming to alignment
- You can both give and receive constructive peer-to-peer feedback within the mindset of continual improvement
- You are passionate about innovation and aren’t afraid to change when required
- You are proactive and take action. If there’s a facilitation or educational challenges that you identify, you are confident in bringing it to the team and driving forward a solution
- You are analytical with high attention to detail and the ability to spot issues others may not notice, especially within client-facing documentation
- You are willing to follow established processes and procedures but are also able to think critically and pivot when needed
- You are able to prioritize and organize your work efficiently and effectively
- You have a strong understanding of outcomes-based curricula and working environments
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Preparing for and facilitating SME Strategy’s “One Destination” Strategic Planning Alignment program and other workshops or educational modules in person and online
- Client pre-work lifecycle includes sending and analyzing pre-planning surveys and holding pre-session interviews or stakeholder meetings
- Travelling to and from client work-sites and representing SME Strategy in a professional manner
- Client post-work lifecycle including documentation and follow-up calls
- Answering client questions and concerns in a timely and professional manner via email, phone, or Zoom
- Providing strategic planning and implementation recommendations to clients based on SME Strategy’s standards and industry best practices
- Keeping an up-to-date shared Google Calendar for internal and client booking purposes
- Attending various weekly virtual internal team meetings and proactively requesting meetings when needed
- Maintaining a learning and development plan to continue your personal development and growth within this role and the organization
- Communicating with the SME Strategy team on a regular basis, including attending departmental and team meetings as well as keeping the CEO informed about critical activities
- Flexible, remote/hybrid schedule based on a 32h hour (4-day) average work week
- 3-weeks of annual paid vacation
(2 weeks paid in advance at 4% of every paycheck + an all-staff paid week off during our annual office closure between Christmas and New Years)
- Allotment of 2-hrs per week of your work schedule for learning & growth and strategic thinking within your role
- Up to $500 per year annual training allowance (available after 6-months of employment and upon approval of SME Strategy’s CEO)
- One paid day of volunteer work per year, with an organization or cause of your choice (available after 6 months of employment)
- Opportunities for advancement and growth
- You will have a high level of autonomy, with the opportunity to shape and guide our organization’s marketing and advertising strategy.
- This role will have a high level of autonomy and flexibility
- A diploma or bachelor’s degree in business, human resources, or organizational communications (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- 4+ years of facilitation experience in any field, with a preference for external facilitation through a consulting firm or facilitating internal learning and development initiatives
- Strong technical aptitude - Must have the ability to utilize the Microsoft and Google Suites, to utilize Zoom and other online meeting functionalities, and to navigate basic AV needs for in-person meetings
- Strong project management skills. Bonus if you have taken courses or are certified in project management
- Bonus, but not required: education or experience in any one of the following areas: executive coaching, change management, agile project management, strategic content development, sales and business development
About SME Strategy:
SME Strategy was founded in 2011 to help organizations develop and implement their strategic plans. We do that by facilitating strategic planning sessions, providing executive coaching and education to senior leaders, and by making strategic management frameworks easy to understand and easy to access.
Based in Vancouver, BC and our team works with clients in Canada, USA and around the world. We are committed to a people-first culture and value input from our team members. We work hard, but also have fun and understand the importance of a work-life balance and offer options for flexible, remote work balanced with in-person or onsite client work.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion when hiring for this, and every role. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, ethnicity, or disability. We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages all qualified applicants to apply.